It is very difficult to get rid of our bad habits, mostly because we are not even aware we have them. One habit that can really rub people the wrong way is when someone is being too nosy. Not only does this border on invasion of privacy, but can lead to people avoiding you.
Here are some indicators that you may be a bit too nosy:
- Listening to people on cell phones and then asking them about the conversation afterwards
- Asking who they are talking to when they are on the phone
- Reading someone’s laptop or computer screen
- Asking about private conversations
Now you may do these things just out of curiosity, but think about how this comes across to others. How would you identify if people feel that you are too nosy? Here are three signs to look out for that people might be doing to you:
- Give very short, simple, and superficial answers to your questions.
- Not giving you updates on their lives as often or going too in depth.
- Avoiding personal topics all together.
There are many other ways to tell if you are being too nosy, but sometimes you just need to take a step back and evaluate your relationships with people. Do you have someone in your life that is too nosy, are you doing the same thing to others?
It’s a difficult situation when you feel that you are not knowledgeable about a topic or event. The feeling of wanting to know everything stems from a desire to always feel included as well as the feeling of knowing a little bit about everything. This desire can have a negative effect, and that is one of isolation.
Respect the privacy of others, and you will find that in time, you will be included and you will earn the trust of others. Start by listening to the thoughts between words, show a genuine interest, and remember, small steps will get you there.